Re: Long Term Commitment to Linux XFS,

To: IFIX Computer Solutions <dsainty@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Long Term Commitment to Linux XFS,
From: Steve Lord <lord@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 21:27:55 -0500
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Comments: In-reply-to IFIX Computer Solutions <dsainty@xxxxxxxxxx> message dated "Fri, 11 May 2001 08:34:44 +1000."
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
> Hi,
>
> I've heard some bad rumours about SGI's possible long term commitment to
> XFS on Linux....  Do you have any sort of statement or position with
> respect to the commitment to support Linux XFS into the future?
>
> My colleagues and I are currently evaluating the use of either XFS or
> Reiser FS on Linux, and we require as much of a commitment as possible
> that SGI will continue to actively support Linux XFS into the future.
> Unfortunately, whilst XFS is a superior journalling FS for Linux, its
> development has not yet been very actively worked on by people other
> than SGI employees, so its usefulness could be affected by any SGI cuts
> in open source development (which would be a great shame).
>
> Please give me some good news or positive response so I can re-assure a
> few people I know. :-)  Anyway, fantastic work on getting 1.0 out. I've
> heard only good things and plan to test it in the next week...
>
> Best Regards and TIA,
>

> DS..

Three answers to this, one of which has already been mentioned:

        SN-IA64 (Itaniam based cpus in an O3000 architecture box) running
        linux. We need XFS on linux for this for customer filesystem
        migration.

        CXFS - distributed filesystem running on top of XFS, we need
        a Linux version of this for the above reason and more.

        I personally have been using Linux since 0.97 and I am not going
        to stop even if SGI goes down the tubes.

So don't listen to everything you hear.

Steve