Re: XFS RedHat installer

To: Tom Duffy <tduffy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Simon Matter <simon.matter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: XFS RedHat installer
From: Seth Mos <knuffie@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 08 May 2001 10:24:44 +0200
Cc: <linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
At 20:47 7-5-2001 -0700, Tom Duffy wrote:
> 1) Boot floppy:
> When doing a mkbootdisk 2.4.2-xxxxx I saw that the content couldn't
> fit on the disk. Then I tried the following:
> fdformat /dev/fd0u1722
> mkbootdisk --device /dev/fd0u1722 2.4.2-xxxxx
> The disk was created successfully but unfortunately it didn't boot
> anyway. I guess it is a problem with the used 'syslinux'. Did
> you try something like this ?

unfortunately, you cannot boot off of a superformatted floppy...this is a
limitation of the BIOS.

What bios?? I can booted super formatted floppy's for my linuxrouter machine at home on a old 486PC which are 1680 I believe. I have encountered one machine with a external drives that would not boot these floppies. A toshiba with an external drive (portege 7800).

So I have good succes with that. I believe they also succeeded in making a 2.88MB bootable cdrom ;-) Information about that should be somewhere in the archives. I am not 100% sure though.

Bye

--
Seth
Every program has two purposes