Re: XFS RedHat installer

To: Simon Matter <simon.matter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: XFS RedHat installer
From: Tom Duffy <tduffy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 7 May 2001 20:47:07 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: <linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
> 1) Boot floppy:
> When doing a mkbootdisk 2.4.2-xxxxx I saw that the content couldn't
> fit on the disk. Then I tried the following:
> fdformat /dev/fd0u1722
> mkbootdisk --device /dev/fd0u1722 2.4.2-xxxxx
> The disk was created successfully but unfortunately it didn't boot
> anyway. I guess it is a problem with the used 'syslinux'. Did
> you try something like this ?

unfortunately, you cannot boot off of a superformatted floppy...this is a
limitation of the BIOS.

> 2) Software RAID does not work. At least when used for boot/root
> volumes. After investigating the problem I found your note about
> devfs beeing enabled and after using devfs=nomount as kernel parameter
> it worked perfectly. Now my question is: Why did you enable devfs
> and what problems my I run in when using devfs=nomount???

we enabled devfs because we expect people who are going to be using xfs to
have shitload of disks.  if you want many disks, the static dev filesystem
on linux will not work.  plus, if you remove a scsi controller or a disk,
things will get shifted around (sdc becomes sdb, etc.).

there are many other benefits to devfs and you will need to have it
running for big systems and lots of disks which we assume is a place xfs
will fit in nicely...

unfortunately, not all things have been ported to using devfs nicely, on
the other hand, I have devfs working with a md systems fine.

the other thing is that sgi sponsored development of devfs for our big
systems and we would like to see more exposure using it...

-tduffy