Re: XFS on SuSE7.1

To: Chandramouli <ssmouli@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: XFS on SuSE7.1
From: Mark Hounschell <dmarkh@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 06 May 2001 05:55:45 -0400
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx, Nithya <Nithya.Ganesan@xxxxxxxxx>
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Chandramouli wrote:

> hi All,
>
>     Could you please provide me some information on how to install XFS
> on SuSE7.1 linux. Or if you know a place where this doc. already exists
> please point me to that ......
>
> Thanks in advance
> Regds
> Mouli

I havn't tried it with SUSE's kernel/7.2. But I know that SuSE's 2.2.18
kernel and 6.4
would not play together. When I did it for SuSE 6.4 I HAD to use a
vanilla kernel and
apply the XFS path. If I also wanted reiser I had to apply the XFS first
then the reiser.
Or was it the other way around. Don't remember..
Anyway if you use a vanilla kernel you really shouldn't have any problem
if there is
still a patch for XFS around. Also you might want to be sure you have
upgraded your gcc
from SUSE to 2.95.3. Back on my 6.4 SuSE box I got it all to play but
had to use the
2.91.6 gcc. The 2.95.2 didn't work but the 2.91.6 caused me headaches
with Xfree so
I gave up on it until they get everything working with the (official
lastest stable
compiler). That is 2.95.3 now and I've heard XFS is ok with that. I may
try again here
soon also. So I guess you best route is to get vanilla kernel sources
and apply the
XFS patch to it and use the 2.95.3 gcc compiler from SuSE.
Good luck.
--
Mark Hounschell
dmarkh@xxxxxxxxxx