Re: XFS on SuSE7.1

To: Chandramouli <ssmouli@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: XFS on SuSE7.1
From: Eric Sandeen <sandeen@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 05 May 2001 10:29:59 -0500
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx, Nithya <Nithya.Ganesan@xxxxxxxxx>
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Chandramouli wrote:

>     Could you please provide me some information on how to install XFS
> on SuSE7.1 linux. Or if you know a place where this doc. already exists
> please point me to that ......

Well, installing from the source will always work.  :)  Pay attention to
the compiler you use to build your kernel, we recommend 2.91.66, but
there have been reports of 2.95.x working.  If you have any problems
building or running XFS, please try 2.91.66 and see if that fixes it.

The userspace commands (you'll need at least xfsprogs) can be built from
the source as well, of course, but the existing RPMs might work ok on
your SuSE system.  It looks like one difference is that SuSE 7.1 puts
man pages in /usr/share/man, while our RPMs have them in /usr/man.

If you want to run your whole system on XFS, that's still tricky at this
point - you'll need to have enough extra partitions to copy over your
system from ext2 partitions to XFS partitions.  We have some general
information on this here:
http://linux-xfs.sgi.com/projects/xfs/xfsroot.html

If anyone who is SuSE-savvy would like to build some SuSE packages, that
would be most welcome!  :)

-Eric

sandeen@xxxxxxx   SGI, Inc.