Re: mkinitrd hang

To: Eric Sandeen <sandeen@xxxxxxx>, "William L. Jones" <jones@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: mkinitrd hang
From: "William L. Jones" <jones@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 04 May 2001 09:27:36 -0500
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Hmm,

I should have read the instruction more carefully. Thanks!

At 10:48 PM 5/3/2001 -0500, Eric Sandeen wrote:
Eric Sandeen wrote:

> "William L. Jones" wrote:
> >
> > mkinitrd is hanging on a mkfs on the loop back device.
> > Has any one seen this problem.
> >
> > I am runing linux-2.4-xfs-r1.0 build with kcc on a amd running Redhat 7.1.
>
> Was this installed from our RPMs, or did you patch a vanilla kernel
> yourself, or do a cvs checkout?

Sorry, I should complete that thought.  :)

If you patched your own kernel, and especially if you did a cvs
checkout, the loop device is probably broken (it was broken in Linus'
tree at least through 2.4.2...)

The loop patches in
ftp://linux-xfs.sgi.com/projects/xfs/download/archive/Release-1.0-test2/pat ches/
will *probably* apply cleanly for you if you have a vanilla 2.4.2 kernel
+ XFS.

But if you're on Red Hat, I'd suggest using the kernel-source RPM we
packaged, as it has many other fixes, as well, thanks to Red Hat.

If you're already using our RPM, then I'm not sure what the solution
will be.

-Eric

sandeen@xxxxxxx   SGI, Inc.