Re: XFS question

To: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: XFS question
From: Rahul Jain <rahul@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 1 May 2001 16:57:06 -0500
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Tue, May 01, 2001 at 05:40:40PM -0400, Castellanos, Leon wrote:
> I just converted all my file systems to xfs and have a few questions to
> which I did not find answers to in the website. First, I would like to know
> why it is that xfs doesn't like to be mounted "ro" read-only. I didn't find
> anyone addressing this issue and had to figure out on my own to change the
> /etc/lilo.conf entry "read-only" to "read-write".
> Second, how can I get by the problem of xfs doing its job too well :) and
> leaving pid files and caches? I pulled the power cord out of my box to test
> the xfs journaling and several things didn't work out well when the system
> came back up: sysklogd didn't start up because it found its old pid file and
> thought it was still running and also my enlightenment window-manager
> configuration was totally purged. I had to rearrange my entire start-up
> setup (location of apps that run on startup, etc). Are there any flags to
> pass to mount in order to fix these problems?

I don't think this issue has anything to do with mount. It has to do with your
init scripts not cleaning up /var/run on boot, as they should. e.g. on Debian:

----- excerpt from /etc/init.d/bootmisc.sh -----

#
# Clean up /var/run and create /var/run/utmp so that we can login.
#
[ "$VERBOSE" != no ] && echo -n "/var/run"
( cd /var/run && \
        find . ! -type d ! -name utmp ! -name innd.pid ! -name random-seed \
        ! -newer /etc/mtab -exec rm -f -- {} \; )
: > /var/run/utmp
if grep -q ^utmp: /etc/group
then
        chmod 664 /var/run/utmp
        chgrp utmp /var/run/utmp
fi
[ "$VERBOSE" != no ] && echo "."

-> -/-                       - Rahul Jain -                       -\- <-
-> -\- http://linux.rice.edu/~rahul -=- mailto:rahul-jain@xxxxxxx -/- <-
-> -/- "I never could get the hang of Thursdays." - HHGTTG by DNA -\- <-
   Version 11.423.999.220020101.23.50110101.042
   (c)1996-2000, All rights reserved. Disclaimer available upon request.