Re: the file I forgot...

To: Galen Arnold <arnoldg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: the file I forgot...
From: Keith Owens <kaos@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 11:40:25 +1000
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx, sgi-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Wed, 23 May 2001 15:46:11 -0500 (CDT),
Galen Arnold <arnoldg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>And perhaps I spoke too soon.  My 2.4.4-xfs box just locked up solid on
>its 4th attempt at iozone (I wanted to keep pounding it a bit longer to
>see what happens).  It doesn't panic, it just stops responding (cannot
>even answer a ping, console freezes).

Can you compile your kernel with kdb and serial console, run a null
modem to a second machine to capture the console output and boot with
kdb=on and nmi_watchdog=2 (SMP) or nmi_watchdog=1 (UP).  Instead of
freezing, the NMI watchdog should trip after 5 seconds and drop into
kdb.  Start with a backtrace (bt) of the current process, if it is
waiting for a lock then list the processes (ps) and do a backtrace of
processes that are running (btp <pid> for processes with '1' in the
'[*]' column).