RE: For when a new stable release?

To: Mário Gamito <mg-listas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: For when a new stable release?
From: John Trostel <jtrostel@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 10:14:15 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: ML do XFS <linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
On 15-May-2001 Mário Gamito wrote:
> Hi!
>
> First of all, my congratulations to the people who worked for bringing
> XFS to Linux.
> You've done a man's job.
>
> I'm using it now in my /home in an intensive use Samba server and i'm
> quite happy with it.
>
> Yet, i'm sad because of the bug(?) which makes ACLs support unuseful.
> Am i right?

Which bug is this?

1. The inode eating bug

This is caused by a (fixed) bug in the .../linux/fs/posix_acl.c file. I could
send you a patch for just this bug if you are interested. (You would need to
recompile the kernel afterwards of course).

2. The umask/default acl bug

This bug involves several files (5 I think).  Again, I have cut out just this
change as a patch and could send it to you.  You can get around this bug on
your Samba server, I think, by setting your umask to 777, the default ACL to
rwxrwxrwx and then letting Samba control the permissions with 'create mask' and
'create mode'.

> When there will be a new stable release that fixes it?
> I presume the fix is on CVS, but i'd rather wait for the next stable
> release in which, i presume, that problem will disappear.

The fixes are in the CVS tree.  It's up to the SGI folks to determine when the
next release will be.

There are also some fixes in the Samba CVS tree that should make XFS ACL
support more useful.

> BTW, when that day comes, i suppose i won't have to re-format the
> partition, right?

Did you reformat the partition to support XFS this time?  If you have already
formatted the partition to be XFS, I think it would be pretty unlikely you will
need to reformat later.  From what I can gather, the IRIX XFS format has been
around long enough that they (SGI) want to maintain the format.

> Just compile the kernel with that new release and things will work well,
> right?

Well.... XFS will work well.  As for the rest of the kernel..... YMMV ;->

--
John M. Trostel
Linux OS Engineer