Re: xfs-redhat 7.1 installation from hardisk

To: Russell Cattelan <cattelan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: xfs-redhat 7.1 installation from hardisk
From: Eric Sandeen <sandeen@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 02 May 2001 21:05:33 -0500
Cc: Michael Vanderford <michaelv@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Russell Cattelan wrote:

> Michael Vanderford wrote:
>
> > Sorry if this is a dumb question but is it possible to
> > install redhat 7.1-xfs from iso's downloaded to a second hard drive.
>
> Sure just copy all the rpm from RH disc1 & 2 and the SGI XFS disc to
> a directory on the second hard drive and copy the "base" directory from
> the SGI disc not the RH disc.

Actually, I don't think that will work.  Hard-drive installs used to
work this way, but now they want the ISO, not the RPMS, on the hard
drive, since people could never figure out how the directories were
supposed to be structured.

It's in the release notes, and a quick look at the manual doesn't say
how to do this, but I've seen the discussion on the Red Hat list -
thread starting here:

https://listman.redhat.com/pipermail/seawolf-list/2001-May/001491.html

Apparently the kickstart installs still use the old-style hard drive
layout...

sandeen@xxxxxxx   SGI, Inc.