Re: Question about XFS as a module

To: Seth Mos <knuffie@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Question about XFS as a module
From: Keith Owens <kaos@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 02 May 2001 10:47:32 +1000
Cc: "Fr d ric L. W. Meunier" <0@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Wed, 2 May 2001 02:30:21 +0200 (CEST),
Seth Mos <knuffie@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>On Tue, 1 May 2001, [iso-8859-1] Frédéric L. W. Meunier wrote:
>> My question is if I can use XFS without rebooting, only building
>> the module, or I also need to make bzImage ?
>
>No, you always need to have the kernel booted of the same version and with
>all the neccesary symbols to be able insert the module.

Nit picking.  It is quite possible to add code to the kernel, compile
it as a module and load into the existing kernel without rebuilding
bzImage or rebooting.  This only works if the add on code has *NO*
changes to the main kernel, several drivers are shipped this way
because they are completely standalone.  However XFS requires changes
to the base kernel code as well as the XFs code itself so in this case
you do need to compile bzImage and reboot.

Keith Owens, modutils and kernel build maintainer.