Re: Errr... what's all this about then?

To: Bruce Tenison <btenison@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Errr... what's all this about then?
From: Eric Sandeen <sandeen@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 27 May 2001 21:47:06 -0500
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Bruce Tenison wrote:

<a lot>

Hm, not sure about the devfs thing, sure seems like it would not be
related, but... I must admit that I have not yet really looked into this
one.

> Also, I noticed that, near the bottom of /etc/rc.d/init.d/halt there are
> the following lines (note the ext2):
> # Remount read only anything that's left mounted.
> #echo $"Remounting remaining filesystems (if any) readonly"
> mount | awk '/ext2/ { print $3 }' | while read line; do
>    mount -n -o ro,remount $line
> done

Ack!  Nice catch, I guess we should fix that up, didn't think to look
for ext2-specific things in the initscripts... one more for the eventual
respin.  I might file this in Red Hat's Bugzilla, just for kicks.  :)

> So I guess this is looking for an ext2 partition as the root and maybe
> the only partition left to umount.  Since it's root, I guess
> we can only remount it ro.  So I changed it to xfs, and placed a couple
> of mount commands to show me whether or not it worked.
> It doesn't seem to remount the root xfs partition read-only (at least
> mount reports (rw) both before and after the remount).

I think that's because of the "-n" option, it doesn't write to mtab, so
"mount" won't show you the (ro) even though it is.

-Eric

sandeen@xxxxxxx   SGI, Inc.