Re: Problems with SMP version of XFS RH 7.1 installer

To: erich@xxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Problems with SMP version of XFS RH 7.1 installer
From: Steve Lord <lord@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 20 May 2001 09:54:42 -0500
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx

> First of all, great job, guys!  Even through all my SMP woes, I haven't
> lost data, and it's great not having it FSCK the 40GB XFS partition I
> have.  ;)
>
> Symptom: try to ftp my 8.5GB tar file from another box to this one, it
> would always either:
>
>   --  hang the network card, so no packets are transmitted anymore, and
>       occasional errors like "NETWORK TRANSMIT failure" would be in the
>       log.
>   --  hang the disk drive, but everything else including the network
>       is still responding.
>   --  occasionally, hang the whole machine.
>
> I tried changing controller and network card types, presuming it might
> have been a driver problem, but no dice, identical results.
>
> The overall result makes me think it's some kind of linux 2.4.2 SMP
> stability problem, but I'm not sure what other kernel w/XFS to try...

If you do try the development cvs tree, please let us know if it fixes
you problem, also for general redhat 7.1 issues please look at this
page for issues redhat has found:

http://www.redhat.com/support/docs/gotchas/7.1/gotchas-71.html

However, since your problems show up copying large amounts of data,
there is chance this is xfs chewing up all the memory on your machine
and not letting go for some reason.

Steve