Re: Questions about recovery

To: Lauri Ojantakanen <lauri@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Questions about recovery
From: Eric Sandeen <sandeen@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 08:49:17 -0500
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Lauri Ojantakanen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am very happy using xfs (converted everything to xfs:). Usually everything
> goes fine with the system but there is one kinda scary thing: sometimes some
> files seem to be getting filled with null's after recovery. I mean that after
> one recovery one opera's bookmark file was still there but the contents of
> the file was just  '\0'.

This has been discussed a few times on the list.  (See the "might have
found a bug..." thread from this week).  The short answer is that it's a
feature, and specifying synchronous writes at mount time will minimize
it, but will also kill your performance.  You can also tune the bdflush
daemon to flush writes more often - also reducing performance.  It's a
tradeoff.

-Eric

sandeen@xxxxxxx   SGI, Inc.