Re: xfs on small memory

To: Tom Duffy <tduffy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: xfs on small memory
From: Daniel Moore <dxm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 09:08:19 +1000
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Tom Duffy writes:
 => I was wondering what the smallest memory system somebody has tried XFS
 => on.  The webpage says 64MB minimum and I know that I have seen XFS working
 => on 64MB, but I was wondering, will 32MB be ok?  How about 16MB w/ swap?
 =>
 => Ananth told me that the recovery was the most memory intensive part...so,
 => I would like to know if anybody has gone through a recovery on a low
 => memory system and things have been OK...or not?
 =>
 => thanks,
 =>
 => -tduffy
 =>

32 Mb was fine when I checked. Lower should be ok too. The original IRIX
code could chew a lot of memory in recovery and would usually fail on small
memory systems. But we've rewritten the code responsible a couple of times
since then so it uses smarter memory allocation.

 Daniel Moore                  dxm@xxxxxxx
 R&D Software Engineer         Phone: +61-3-98348209
 SGI Performance Tools Group   Fax:   +61-3-98132378