Re: Broken kernel-2.4.2-SGI_XFS_1.0.i686.rpm pakage

To: James Lyon <james@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Broken kernel-2.4.2-SGI_XFS_1.0.i686.rpm pakage
From: Ric Tibbetts <ric@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 14:40:02 -0700
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
James Lyon wrote:

> I have just downloaded the RedHat 7.1 XFS kernel RPM
> (kernel-2.4.2-SGI_XFS_1.0.i686.rpm). I installed the kernel with rpm -Uvh,
> reran lilo and rebooted.
>
> None of the kernel modules would load, and depmod complained of missing
> kernel symbols. I examined /proc/ksyms and it seems that all of the missing
> kernel symbols do exist but have a different version number on the end.
>
> It seems that this package is broken and so I hope you can rebuild it and
> put up a fixed one soon.

Look in /boot, and check the System.map. Make sure it's the right one, and not a
link to the old one.
Maybe some one on the list running that kernel, can send along what the time &
date stamps should be (to verify), and the size. It sounds like you have the
wrong one.

Ric Tibbetts
Boeing Shared Services Group
UNIX System Administration