Re: Problem setting up quotas ...

To: James Pearson <james-p@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Problem setting up quotas ...
From: "Nathan Scott" <nathans@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 4 May 2001 08:24:27 -0500
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
hi James,

On May 3,  3:36pm, James Pearson wrote:
> Subject: Problem setting up quotas ...
> I've just installed RedHat 7.1/XFS1.0 on a Athlon based system and I'm
> trying to get quotas working - so far without success.
>
> I've made a XFS file system and mounted it with -o quota and tried to
> follow the instructions in the quotaon man page and
> /usr/share/doc/xfsprogs/README.quota but get the following:

> # edquota james
> No filesystems with quota detected.
>
> I've also recompiled the kernel with CONFIG_QUOTA=y and
> CONFIG_XFS_QUOTA=y just in case the supplied kernel didn't have quotas
> enabled - but with the same results.

yup, that would have been my first guess too (you definately
rebooted after recompiling?).  can you send the output from:

        # repquota -v /dev/hda4

this will tell for sure whether quota are enabled.  when you
mount with quota for the first time, you should see a console
message - "XFS doing a quotacheck", or something along those
lines.

Alternatively, if you unmount the filesystem, then run:

        # xfs_db -r -c sb -c p /dev/hda4 | grep qflags

you'll see a non-zero hex number if quota are enabled -
if you get zero, somethings wrong (running kernel doesn't
support XFS quota would be the most likely).

> Incidentally, the examples in /usr/share/doc/xfsprogs/README.quota and
> the quotaon man page don't agree with the actual commands e.g.
>
> in README.quota the syntax to the setquota example is incorrect.
>
> in quotaon(8), the examples talk about a -s option to repquota and a -o
> option to quotaoff which don't seem to exist ...

yes, the problem here is that the XFS 1.0 tree was
frozen to changes (bug fixes only) several weeks
ago ... and a couple of new releases of the quota
tools have happened since then, changing output,
args, etc.

you'll find the current development cvs tree README
closer to reality here, but having just read it, I
see it needs to be updated a little again for the
latest quota tools... will put an updated version
in shortly.

cheers.

--
Nathan