Re: New thread: Manually creating the 2.4.4 XFS tree

To: Austin Gonyou <austin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: New thread: Manually creating the 2.4.4 XFS tree
From: Seth Mos <knuffie@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 May 2001 22:44:34 +0200 (CEST)
Cc: <linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Thu, 3 May 2001, Austin Gonyou wrote:

> I should've been more specific. I was under the assumption that you
> couldn't really use devfsd if devfs was not compiled into the kernel.
> Sorry for the confusion. What I really want to do is patch a 2.4.4 kernel
> to use XFS without using devfs. That part I don't think would be an issue,
> and I understand all that's involved here. One thing I'd like to be able
> to do though is to know how to properly patch a 2.4.4 kernel upto xfs.
> Should I get a 2.4.2 kernel, patch it with xfs, then patch it up to 2.4.4?
> Ideas?

Just check out the linux-2.4-xfs tree from CVS. This one is currently
based on 2.4.4. See the Getting XFS from CVS page. Patching 2.4.2 with
XFS would be no problem, but patching this from 2.4.2 to 2.4.4 would be a
serious issue. XFS and other journaling fs are dependent on VM behaviour
and are thus very closely intergrated.

If you know how to build kernels this shoudl not be a problem after
getting the tree fom CVS. If not, it's not that difficult.
Linuxdoc.org has al the neccesary kernel building howto's if neccesary.

Good luck
Seth