Re: swapon error

To: David Benigni <benigni@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: swapon error
From: Eric Sandeen <sandeen@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 01 May 2001 20:06:06 -0500
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Yes, I have seen this as well.  Swap _does_ get enabled, and everything
is fine, but there is this warning.

I think it's YADT (Yet Another Devfs Thing).

For the gory details, read on...

Looking at rc.sysinit, it actually executes swapon twice.  Not sure why
Red hat does this.

If I do

$ swapoff -a
$ swapon -a -e
$ swapon -a

(essentially the same as rc.sysinit) I get the same "device busy" error
message.  However, the man page says that for "swapon -a," "devices that
are already running as swap are silently skipped" - but we're not seing
this behavior.

So my guess is that since the "device" (/dev/hda5 in my case) is
actually just a symlink under devfs, it's confusing swapon somehow.
Booting with "devfs = nomount" gets rid of the error, so that must be
it.

I'll put it on the devfs list and see what people think...

-Eric

sandeen@xxxxxxx   SGI, Inc.