Re: Question about XFS as a module

To: Frédéric L. W. Meunier <0@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Question about XFS as a module
From: Seth Mos <knuffie@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 2 May 2001 02:30:21 +0200 (CEST)
Cc: <linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Tue, 1 May 2001, [iso-8859-1] Frédéric L. W. Meunier wrote:

> Hi. From http://linux-xfs.sgi.com/projects/xfs/faq.html :
>
> Q: Mounting the XFS filesystem does not work - what is wrong?
>
>    If you get something like:
>     mount: /dev/hda5 has wrong major or minor number
>
> you either don't have XFS compiled into the kernel (or you
> forgot to load the modules) or you did not use the "-t xfs"
> option on mount or the "xfs" option in /etc/fstab.
>
> My question is if I can use XFS without rebooting, only building
> the module, or I also need to make bzImage ?

No, you always need to have the kernel booted of the same version and with
all the neccesary symbols to be able insert the module.
bzImage is the actual kernel and you will need to boot that one before you
can try to load the module.
A modprobe xfs would probably return a error if you don't run a xfs
capable kernel with xfs compiled as a module.

Bye
Seth