Re: XFS - Performance Optimazation.

To: Steve Lord <lord@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: XFS - Performance Optimazation.
From: Rob Creecy <rcreecy@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 14:43:10 -0400
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx

Steve Lord wrote:
> snip ..........
>
> OK, now to the crux of the matter, these mkfs options are not going to help
> you achieve higher bandwidth, your hardware is going to play the biggest part
> in this, so it is all really a matter of budget. We have had a single file
> doing streaming I/O at close to 100 Mbytes/sec on linux, however, that
> involved a fiber channel connected JBOD running lvm on 8 10000 rpm scsi
> drives. Going beyond this you need to look at multiple pci buses with
> multiple controllers and lots of fun stuff like that. But I suspect this
> is getting beyond what you are looking for ;-)

This performance sounds great, and I would like to try to duplicate it.
I also have fibre disks, so the hardware should be fine. I have some
questions.
1. What mkfs options did you use? You imply it doesn't matter much, that
the
hardware and lvm stripe are more important.
2. What benchmark shows the near 100MB/s bandwidth? What performance
should I expect
from a simple dd if=junk of=/dev/null bs=xxx, with xxx optimized for
stripe width.
3. What kind of streaming write performance did you get?

--
   Rob Creecy
   U.S. Bureau of the Census