Re: performance and hanging issues

To: Eric Sandeen <sandeen@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: performance and hanging issues
From: Arjen Wolfs <arjen@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 16:56:37 +0200
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
At 09:39 AM 4/24/01 -0500, you wrote:
Arjen Wolfs wrote:

> Hi Eric,
>
> I checked out linux-2.4-xfs-beta, since that was mentioned as being the
> "bugfix only" branch. What branch exactly do you suggest I try?

Ah, if you're having these problems with a recent linux-2.4-xfs-beta
checkout, then we need to figure out what's causing them.

Anything you can provide to help us duplicate your problem would be most
appreciated - any test script you're using, and more information on the
box (things like which scsi card you have, etc)

I checked it out last friday, so fairly recent. The box is a dual PIII-733 with 1GB of RAM (highmem support enabled), with the xfs parition being a 250G hardware RAID5 array connected to an Adaptec 2940 (U2W-LVD) adapter. This box had been running 2.4.2 with reiserfs for the last 2 months or so with no problems, until reiser trashed my partition and left me without a working fsck, hence I am now trying xfs.

The dramatic slowdown problem occured when extracting a large zipfile (57400 files, 650MB zipped, 12G unzipped) to the partition. When the box froze up nothing heavy-duty was running on the box.

The kernel is very plain - no LVM, modules, multimedia or such things are enabled, just hardware drivers and the other bare basics.

Hope this helps,

Arjen Wolfs