performance and hanging issues

To: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: performance and hanging issues
From: Arjen Wolfs <arjen@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 11:52:38 +0200
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx

Hi,

Since I only just subscribed here this might have been discussed before, but browsing through the archives I couldn't find anything about it so here goes:

I am running 2.4.2-XFS (checked out of cvs) on a SMP box with 1G of memory, and have am having some serious issues with it. When creating a large number of files (a few thousand) on the XFS parition, the process will run along nicely for a while and then slow to a complete crawl; the process goes into an uninterruptable sleep (D), and the load goes up to ~1,5 with no process using any cpu. It might be stuck in this state for a minute or two, and then continue as normal for a while before the processes repeats itself.

After about 3 days of uptime the box came to a complete halt, forcing a hard reset. It had the following messaged logged (though not at the time it froze):

Apr 24 05:54:31 kernel: __alloc_pages: 0-order allocation failed.
Apr 24 05:54:31 kernel: __alloc_pages: 0-order allocation failed.

Apr 24 10:58:30 kernel: __alloc_pages: 0-order allocation failed.
Apr 24 10:58:30 last message repeated 11 times

The box froze about 40 minutes after that last log entry above. I know this all isn't very scientific and I can obviously attempt to provide more information.

Any help would be extremely very greatly appreciated,

/Arjen Wolfs