Re: SGI/RedHat 7.0 -> SGI/RedHat 7.1 upgrade

To: Eric Sandeen <sandeen@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: SGI/RedHat 7.0 -> SGI/RedHat 7.1 upgrade
From: Seth Mos <knuffie@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 09:11:21 +0200
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
At 17:15 18-4-2001 -0500, Eric Sandeen wrote:
Seth Mos wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Does anyone already have some experience in upgrading a xfs based system to
> a newer xfs system using the SGI installer?
> If not I am gonna try to  toast my test machine.

I have upgraded 2 XFS based systems with the latest installer, and it
went w/o a hitch.  Note that these systems were originally installed
with our previous system installer, not "home-brewed" although I don't
think that will make a difference.

Steve ran into trouble where he had an all XFS system, and the installer
wanted more swap space, so looked for room on ext2 filesystems to make a
swap file (not a swap partition) - and there were none, so anaconda
crashed.  We have that fixed, but it's not out there yet.

So if you already have a boatload of swap (2x memory) or more than 512MB
RAM, or if you have some ext2 partitions on the system, it should work.
Otherwise, hold off for the next test...

This machine has 256MB ram and a 500M swap.
Would that be sufficient?

--
Seth
Every program has two purposes