Re: XFS in RHL 7.1

To: Juha Saarinen <juha@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: XFS in RHL 7.1
From: Steve Lord <lord@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 16:39:13 -0500
Cc: "linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx" <linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
> On Wed, 18 Apr 2001, Steve Lord wrote:
>

> > Yes it does if you use the patch I sent out yesterday.
>
> Right, I looked at it -- shouldn't that patch go into the ISO?

The reason I did the work was that I just discovered Redhat had switched
their build compiler. The amount of exposure xfs has had with this compiler
is minimal. I also so far have had zero feedback from people with other
compilers saying it works or does not work for them.

Previous attempts at this resulted in runtime hangs out of xfs due to other
compiler problems, so far it looks like these are gone, but I want to see
more testing yet.

Internally there is currently a lot of resistance to changing the code in the
1.0 code base - throwing a new compiler at a large body of code just before
you call it a release is generally not a good idea. So this change is likely
to go into the development tree, but not the 1.0 tree.

Steve