Re: No /dev/cdrom with Pre-Release 10 and RH7.1

Subject: Re: No /dev/cdrom with Pre-Release 10 and RH7.1
From: Eric Sandeen <sandeen@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 21:01:36 -0500
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Jonathan Schwarz wrote:

> OK, the ISO is from the link you sent to the wolverine-list for 7.1 -
> RH7.1-SGI-XFS-0.10.3.iso.

Ok, that's good.

> I have one ide hd, and an ide cd.

That's why you only have /dev/hda* - that's your ide hard drive, and...

> modprobe ide-cd fails with a lot of unresolved symbol errors. in ide-cd.o,
> and also complains taht /etc/modules.conf is more recent than
> /lib/modules/2.4.2-SGI_XFS_0.10.3/modules.dep

Ack! and that's why /dev/cdroms/cdrom0 doesn't point to anything.

modprobe ide-cd should not fail - can you send me the output?

Try an "/sbin/depmod -ae" as well, if it completes silently, try to load
the ide-cd module again, otherwise, send me that output as well.

> I'll try recompiling the kernel with the ide-cd compiled in, but any other
> ideas?

Well, sorry, this certainly looks like a problem with the kernel RPM or
the installer.  Compiling ide-cd into the kernel should work around it,
but this is something for us to fix, to be sure.

-Eric

sandeen@xxxxxxx   SGI, Inc.