Re: No /dev/cdrom with Pre-Release 10 and RH7.1

To: Jonathan Schwarz <js@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: No /dev/cdrom with Pre-Release 10 and RH7.1
From: Eric Sandeen <sandeen@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 17:45:18 -0500
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Ok.  For starters, what was the name of the ISO you installed from?
This should be fixed in the latest version (-"test2" I think).

Jonathan Schwarz wrote:

> I just installed A RH 7.1 "Server" installation with the SGI PR 10 for 7.1
> The install went beautifully, and everything was fine until I tried to
> mount the RH install CD to install some packages that I wanted extra.
> /dev/cdrom is a symlink to cdroms/cdrom0, which does not exist.

"modprobe ide-cd" should fix this for you, but I thought that devfsd
should auto-load the ide-cd module for you...

> There is also no cdroms dir in dev, and no hd* except hda[1-7]!!!!

Do you have more than one hard drive?

> Has anyone else seen this/know if this is an XFS or Seawolf problem?

Otherwise, add these lines to the bottom of your devfsd.conf file, and
see if it works some magic for you.

# Handle /dev/mouse...
# This assumes that something else (initscripts) will load mouse modules
# If input/mice gets registered, link /dev/mouse to it:
REGISTER        input/mice      EXECUTE /bin/ln -sf input/mice mouse
# Lkewise for misc/psaux:
REGISTER        misc/psaux      EXECUTE /bin/ln -sf misc/psaux mouse
# If we unregister the usb mouse, then we probably want /dev/mouse to be
psaux
UNREGISTER      input/mice      EXECUTE /bin/ln -sf misc/psaux mouse

# ...and /dev/cdrom
# In case no cdrom modules loaded, point link over to /dev/cdroms/cdrom0
LOOKUP          cdrom           EXECUTE /bin/ln -sf cdroms/cdrom0 cdrom
# Similarly, if the module loaded, create the /dev/cdrom link
REGISTER        cdroms/cdrom0   EXECUTE /bin/ln -sf cdroms/cdrom0 cdrom
# Remove link when cdrom modules are unloaded
UNREGISTER      cdroms/cdrom0   EXECUTE /bin/rm -f cdrom

-Eric

sandeen@xxxxxxx   SGI, Inc.