Re: XFS volume labels

To: Ed McKenzie <eem12@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: XFS volume labels
From: "Nathan Scott" <nathans@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2001 09:10:51 -0500
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
hi,

On Apr 4,  6:33pm, Ed McKenzie wrote:
> Subject: Re: XFS volume labels
>
> On Wed, Apr 04, 2001 at 01:56:40PM -0500, Steve Lord wrote:
> > It is possible our labeling code got broken, have you tried the uuid
> > version of the mount? You can also use xfs_db directly to dump this
> > stuff out:
> [...]
>
> No such luck. The code in mount_by_label.c seems pretty
> straightforward, though; when I have more time I'll do some debugging.

fwiw, I use mount-by-label on several XFS filesystems on
my development machine with no problems (have done so for
several months now).

This was first in util-linux 2.10r, so sounds like you
do indeed have the right code base (there have been no
changes in this area in subsequent releases, ext2 and
xfs have the same code now as they did in 2.10r).

Can you give more details on the exact problem?  (your
fstab entry, xfs_db "sb" output, etc).  does it fail when
you use "mount -L <label>" also, or only at boot time?

On Apr 4,  2:25pm, Ed McKenzie wrote:
> Subject: XFS volume labels
> (I've also noticed that some of my ext2 disks no longer
> mount-by-label, even though e2label shows the expected value.)

That ext2 doesn't work is very odd ... that piece of the
mount code has been unchanged for ages.

cheers.

--
Nathan