Re: performance and hanging issues

To: Steve Lord <lord@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: performance and hanging issues
From: Arjen Wolfs <arjen@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 20:48:19 +0200
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
At 08:07 PM 4/26/2001, Steve Lord wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I am continuing to see random freezes on this machine; does anybody have
> any idea on how to resolve this? If more information is needed to
> troubleshoot just I shall of course attempt to provide it.
>
> Arjen Wolfs

Hi Arjen

We are pretty sure this is Highmem specific, there is an internal user who
experienced a complete lockup in a similar scenario. Since you only have
1 Gbyte of memory, can you try turning off highmem and rebuilding your kernel
and seeing if the problems go away. This will narrow down the problem, and
should not loose you too much memory.

Secondly, depending on if you have a serial console or not, can you build
kdb (under the lernel hacking menu) into the kernel, and following the hang,
drop into kdb with Ctrl-A and type bta this will dump all stacks on the system
then send us the output.

I will probably have to pass this onto someone else to dig into, I am
about to go on vacation for a week and just woke up this morning to a
waterlogged basement, so I have other things to deal with right now!

Also, we were wondering if the data you are using is available on the
internet, or you could make it available provided you have access to
sufficient bandwidth.

Hi Steve,

I recompiled and restarted without highmem support and kdb on, let's see if it helps. I can attach a serial console if needed, however since I will be at RIPE39 in italy next week that will probably not be until after I get back. The lockups happened randomly - I was not doing anything specific to trigger them, the last one happened while the system was totally idle.

The zipfile I was extracting that triggered the massive system slowdown contains ~57K logfiles so I cannot post it publicly, I can however make it available to you privately if it would help you troubleshoot (bandwidth is not an issue).

Thanks (and have fun mopping :),

Arjen Wolfs