Re: Moving IRIX disk to Linux

To: Dave Sill <ds-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Moving IRIX disk to Linux
From: Bryan-TheBS-Smith <thebs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 14:16:39 -0500
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Dave Sill wrote:
> It boots OK, except something seems to blow /dev/mouse away
> during the boot.

That's the new DevFS -- /dev is created on-the-fly.  Symlinks are
not preserved between boots.  I just had my first experiences with
it too (see http://www.zepa.net/hypermail/elug/2001/03/0164.html).

The best way to fix it is to use the actual device in GPM and X.

E.g.:

   $ cat /etc/sysconfig/gpm
   # Additional options for gpm (e.g. acceleration)
   OPTIONS="-m /dev/psaux"

   $ cat /etc/X11/XFree86-4
   Driver          "mouse"
   Option          "Device"                "/dev/psaux"

> I hooked up a drive with an XFS filesystem created on an IRIX
> system. This is just a test; the FS contains junk files.
> During the boot, the kernel reports:
>   Detected scsi disk sda at scsi0, channel 0, id 1, lun 0
>   SCSI device sda: 91923356 512-byte hdwr sectors (47065 MB)
>   Partition check:
>    /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target1/lun0: unknown partition table
> But fdisk sees the partition table OK:
>   Disk /dev/sda (SGI disk label): 28 heads, 328 sectors, 10009 cylinders
>   Units = cylinders of 9184 * 512 bytes
>
>   ----- partitions -----
>      Device  Info      Start       End   Sectors  Id  System
>   /dev/sda8               1     10009  91919260   a  SGI xfs
>   /dev/sda9               0         0      4096   0  SGI volhdr
>   /dev/sda11              0     10009  91923356   6  SGI volume
> And the only device file associated with the disk is /dev/sda--no
> sda8, sda9, or sda11.

Was the disk from a SGI Irix system?

The pre-release kernels don't have the partition support for SGI
disk labels compiled in by default.

-- TheBS

--
Bryan "TheBS" Smith          chat:thebs413 @AOL/MSN/Yahoo