Re: is this a bug or a feature?

To: james <jdickens@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: is this a bug or a feature?
From: Steve Lord <lord@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 12:51:48 -0600
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
It is a 'feature'. XFS does not preallocate space for inodes at mkfs time
(ext2 for example does). Instead they are allocated on demand, but they are
never given back. So once you hit a high watermark with inode allocations,
you stay there and show up in the space used. In a filesystem which allocated
inodes at mkfs time I suspect the inode space is never included in the free
space reports.

Steve