XFS Linux and /dev entries....

To: <linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: XFS Linux and /dev entries....
From: "Juan Casero" <casero@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2001 16:11:51 -0500
Cc: <casero@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
I have a question about devfs and XFS on a Linux box.  I run RedHat 7.0
with XFS exclusively on my primary Linux workstation.  This box uses an
NVidia TNT2 Pro video card and XFree86 4.0.1 so naturally I want to install
and run the specilized drivers provided by nvidia for XFree86 4.0.1.  There
is a problem though; when I install the nvidia drivers (after compiling them
myself they create an entry in /dev called nvidiactl or something like that.
Since the entries in /dev are creating dynamically the entries in /dev
created
by the nvidia software get wiped out when the system shuts down.  Therefore
when it comes back up the XFree86 provided nvidia drivers die and I can't
start X.  A clumsy solution would be to boot into runlevel 3 each time and
recreate the entries myself for each session but that is not a good
approach.
Is there a way to force the system to create the entries in /dev for the
nvidia drivers each time it reboots?  If you don't feel like going into
details
about how to do this but you know where documentation is online please point
me in the right direction.

Thanks......

Juan Casero
casero@xxxxxxxxxxxxx