Re: kio on non-x86

To: Thomas Graichen <thomas.graichen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: kio on non-x86
From: Chaitanya Tumuluri <chait@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2001 08:38:18 -0500 (EST)
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
On 2 Mar 2001, Thomas Graichen wrote:
> Steve Lord <lord@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> >> just updated the kernel on my ppc machine yesterday - worked all fine
> >> so far ... that i tried the kio and kiocluster options on the ppc too
> >> and ran into problems: as soon as i write to the fs it detects an io
> >> error and shuts down ... thus a few questions:
>
> > I presume the same devices worked OK without kio, did they work OK after
> > this shutdown?

Hi,

Do you have the error messages?
AFAIK, kiobuf code is _not_ arch specific.

> >> * am i right in assuming that the kio stuff does not contain any
> >>   arch specific parts so it should - in principle - work also on
> >>   the pcc which would leave endian or gcc issues as a possible
> >>   reason for the problem?
>
> > I think this is true, there are no os specific components, where you using
> > ide or scsi? The ide kio code is specific to having dma turned on. So which
> > combination was this?
>
> it's ide and dma turned on

There are no arch specific components to the kiobuf code. Though, if you
are using more than 1GB there may be an issue with highmem bouncing code
in kiobuf I/O. How much memory do you have on your system?

> >> * does anyone have an idea off-mind what might be the reson for
> >>   this? ... i'll turn on all the debugging options and see if i
> >>   get any more information out of it this evening i think
>
> > Chait may have some suggestions, but the specific hardware combination is
> > the most interesting part of the equation right now.
>
> thanks - as said i waill (and can) do more testing this evening

Error messages, if any, would help....I'll wait for the results from
your tests.

Cheers,
-Chait.