Pre-production questions

Subject: Pre-production questions
From: Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 23:04:02 -0500 (EST)
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
First, let me say thanks to this list and to SGI for all the hard work on
XFS.  It's a rather impressive bit of work, and almost kind of eerie
knowing that I could pull a disk out of my Indigo2, put it in one of the
Linux boxen, and be good to go.  Weird.

To the point at hand, my hardware RAID system came in today, and I'm ready
(having played with xfs on some smaller partitions) to start my real
pre-production testing.  I'll be exporting the RAID to about 20 users
(all Linux clients) over a 100Mb FD network.  I'm running a CVS kernel
from March 13, although I now hear of a new pre-release coming...

My RAID is an IDE-SCSI system -- IDE disks, looks like SCSI to the host.
It has 8 80GB drives in RAID 5, for about 560GB of usable space.  I'd like
it to be just one partition.  My question is, are there any special
parameters I should pass to mkfs for such a big (well, for me at least)
partition?  What about to tailor it to the hardware RAID?

Any hints are much appreciated, and thanks again.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering