Re: Besides the patched kernel and commands, what else is needed?

To: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Besides the patched kernel and commands, what else is needed?
From: Thomas Graichen <news-innominate.list.sgi.xfs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 25 Feb 2001 17:36:52 GMT
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
"Bryan J. Smith" <b.j.smith@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Thomas Graichen wrote:
>> i run my machines at home and at work with all xfs (except /boot -
>> but this is at least possible too) for over half a year now with-
>> out any problems ... just as a postive point here :-)

> <Rudimentary Question>
> If I use mkinitrd to put the XFS module inside and initrd, then I
> only need /boot to not be XFS, correct?  Or since XFS works with
> LILO, it can be XFS as well???
> </Rudimentary Question>

yes and yes ... you may also compile it statically into the kernel
(which i think is the most simple solution) ... as said - i usually
use a small (64M) ext2 /boot because it is simple and does not hurt
(you may even mount it ro to avoid the fsck :-) ... you may also
have a look at my little stand-alone environment which might
migration or "daily care" of such an close to xfs only system
a bit simpler

  http://innominate.org/~graichen/projects/miniroot/

hope that helps

thomas.graichen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx