Re: Besides the patched kernel and commands, what else is needed?

To: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Besides the patched kernel and commands, what else is needed?
From: Thomas Graichen <news-innominate.list.sgi.xfs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 25 Feb 2001 14:07:07 GMT
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
"Bryan J. Smith" <b.j.smith@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Thomas Graichen wrote:

> I'm kinda wondering what all is patched in the linux kernel tree
> under CVS?  I know both RedHat's 2.4.0/1 kernels come with a lot of
> various patches to the stock kernel tree, and the SGI PR 0.9 2.4.0
> did as well.  Have these been integrated into the CVS kernel (among
> other patches?).  [ I'm assuming so, along with other post-2.4.2
> patches that didn't make it in. ]

i never used anything else than the CVS tree so i'll leave this
for someone else

>> it's always a good idea to have somewhat fresh modutils for the 2.4.x
>> kernel (you may get src.rpm's from ftp.kernel.org for instance) and
>> if you need mkinitrd you may rebuild it with the trivial XFS patch
>> but i think this is only required if you build your xfs support in
>> as a module

> Well, my RPM .config files are based on the PR 0.9 release RPMs
> (with IDE compiled-in, instead of a module, and SysReq/ksymoops
> removed).  So it's a module (I assume no one will use XFS on their /
> or /boot partitions at this point).

i run my machines at home and at work with all xfs (except /boot -
but this is at least possible too) for over half a year now with-
out any problems ... just as a postive point here :-)

thomas.graichen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
                                                         innominate AG
                                                  the linux architects
tel: +49-30-308806-13   fax: -77             http://www.innominate.com