Re: Besides the patched kernel and commands, what else is needed?

To: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Besides the patched kernel and commands, what else is needed?
From: Thomas Graichen <news-innominate.list.sgi.xfs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 25 Feb 2001 08:30:52 GMT
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
"Bryan J. Smith" <b.j.smith@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Besides the patched kernel and commands, what else is needed?

> I'm playing with the 2.4.2 kernel (both patched with the Feb 23
> patch, and the whole kernel from CVS), as well as the commands (from
> CVS).

basically nothing else is needed

> What I'm concerned about is the fact that the Pre-Release RPMs on
> OSS also include modified a "modutils" and "mkinitrd" as well (I
> looked inside the SRPMS and saw XFS patches).  If I'm using updated
> RedHat 7.0 (or 7.0.90/91 betas) as a base, do I need to modify those
> RPMs as well?  Or have these two packages been "cleaned-up" in the
> normal RedHat patches for 7.0?

it's always a good idea to have somewhat fresh modutils for the 2.4.x
kernel (you may get src.rpm's from ftp.kernel.org for instance) and
if you need mkinitrd you may rebuild it with the trivial XFS patch
but i think this is only required if you build your xfs support in
as a module

thomas.graichen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
                                                         innominate AG
                                                  the linux architects