RE: XFS tree bumped to 2.4.2 base

To: "Nathan Scott" <nathans@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: XFS tree bumped to 2.4.2 base
From: "Juan Casero" <casero@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 13:19:01 -0500
Cc: <linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Thanks for the info.  Last night I logged into the CVS
server and downloaded the code.  For good measure I also
performed an update to make sure I got the latest and
greatest kernel source.  A recompile of the kernel source
(that by the way went without a hitch) installed the 2.4.2-xfs
kernel on my boxen.  The new kernel is at least an order of
magniture more stable and seems to perform slightly faster
also.  Thanks to the SGI folks for their wonderful efforts!
It would be a real shame if Linus needlessly delayed the
integration of the XFS code into the mainstream kernel tree.
XFS will henceforth be my default file system for all my Linux
partitions.

Ciao...
Juan Casero
casero@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

By the way I am very excited and happy to see how enthuthiastic
SGI is about Linux.  I really enjoy reading the articles on SGI's
Linux web pages.  I have a question for you foks though.  When are
the first SGI ccNUMA servers based on Intel Itanium and Linux scheduled
to debut?  It seems to me you folks are right on the money in your
market analyses.  If SGI can bring to Linux the kind of reliability
and performance that IRIX delivers on those massive servers everyone
really benefits tremendously.  I am in the IT business and if I have
anything to say about it Linux and SGI will feature prominently in
our agenda for server acquisitions in the near future.  It doesn't
make any sense to depend on a closed Microsoft code base when you
have available an army of developers world wide alreay working to make
Linux a top notch OS.  When I started with Linux back in late 1994 I
expected that it might develop into a medium range business server
platform.  I am stunned and rather pleased to see the direction it
is taking though with the help of SGI and other corporate partners.