Re: RedHat Linux 7.0 with SGI XFS

To: Juan Casero <casero@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: RedHat Linux 7.0 with SGI XFS
From: Eric Sandeen <sandeen@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 20:32:00 -0600
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Juan Casero wrote:

> Hi -

> 1.  For some reason when the system boots there is no device file for my
> IDE cdrom.  <snip>

Nothing to fix - the installed system is using devfs and nodes do not
show up until the appropriate driver is loaded.  /dev is a virtual
filesystem like /proc so changes are not consistent.  If you turn off
devfs you will need to get updated kernel sources from CVS or you will
encounter a bug which is masked by devfs.  Read our installer caveats
page, and search google for "devfs faq"

> 2.  If I download a plain vanilla 2.4.0 kernel and then apply the XFS
> patch available the kernel compile will die with an error.   In fact
> I even tried to generate the kernel binaries that came on the cdrom
> you provide using the source rpms but the compile process also died.
> If you like I can send you a copy of the error output from my attempt
> to compile the plain vanilla 2.4.0 kernel with the patch
> applied.

You didn't say what the error is but odds are you need to use kgcc
instead of the gcc snapshot redhat provides.  If it dies almost
immediately then that's likely the case.

Search the patched top level Makefile for "kgcc" and follow the
instructions in the comments.

> 3.  Trying to compile the NVIDIA_kernel-0.9-6 driver from RPMS succeeds
> on this modified redhat 7.0 distribution but trying to load the modules
> fails and I get an error message about unresolved symbol irq_stat.

I get that too, I haven't looked at it closely - not sure what the
problem is, except that binary kernel modules can't really be supported
and will eventually break.

> By the way.....when do you expect that the source code for XFS will
> integrated into the mainstream kernel sources?   That is when is it
> likely that we will be able to download a plain vanilla linux kernel
> source and
> compile it with native support for XFS without having to apply patches?

That's up to Linus... :-)

Good luck,
-Eric