Re: Besides the patched kernel and commands, what else is needed?

To: b.j.smith@xxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Besides the patched kernel and commands, what else is needed?
From: Russell Cattelan <cattelan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 12:03:54 -0500
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
"Bryan J. Smith" wrote:

> Thomas Graichen wrote:
> > i run my machines at home and at work with all xfs (except /boot -
> > but this is at least possible too) for over half a year now with-
> > out any problems ... just as a postive point here :-)
>
> <Rudimentary Question>
> If I use mkinitrd to put the XFS module inside and initrd, then I
> only need /boot to not be XFS, correct?  Or since XFS works with
> LILO, it can be XFS as well???
> </Rudimentary Question>

At this point the entire system can be XFS,  even with XFS as a module.

The kernel will be fine from an XFS partition since it simple goes out
and looks for blocks on the disk.

eg
/dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part7 on / type xfs (rw)
none on /proc type proc (rw)
usbdevfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbdevfs (rw)
/dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part5 on /boot type xfs (rw)
none on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,gid=5,mode=620)
/dev/scsi/host2/bus0/target0/lun0/part1 on /export/xfs1 type xfs (rw)

The modified mkinitrd on the CD simply forces xfs, xfs_support, and
pagebuf  to
be included in the initial ram disk. If XFS compiles into the kernel no
modifications
are needed to mkinitrd.

As Thomas already stated; current modutils are needed for the 2.4
kernel.

--
Russell Cattelan