Re: Besides the patched kernel and commands, what else is needed?

To: Thomas Graichen <thomas.graichen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Besides the patched kernel and commands, what else is needed?
From: "Bryan J. Smith" <b.j.smith@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2001 08:25:00 -0500
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Thomas Graichen wrote:
> basically nothing else is needed

I'm kinda wondering what all is patched in the linux kernel tree
under CVS?  I know both RedHat's 2.4.0/1 kernels come with a lot of
various patches to the stock kernel tree, and the SGI PR 0.9 2.4.0
did as well.  Have these been integrated into the CVS kernel (among
other patches?).  [ I'm assuming so, along with other post-2.4.2
patches that didn't make it in. ]

I just built a set of RPMs based on the contents of CVS last night.
I created a custom spec file (based on various ones from RedHat as
well as PR 0.9 -- and added an Athlon binary RPM set too).  If
anyone is interested, E-mail me.  [ I'm still testing though -- I'm
no RPM expert ;-PPP ]

> it's always a good idea to have somewhat fresh modutils for the 2.4.x
> kernel (you may get src.rpm's from ftp.kernel.org for instance) and
> if you need mkinitrd you may rebuild it with the trivial XFS patch
> but i think this is only required if you build your xfs support in
> as a module

Well, my RPM .config files are based on the PR 0.9 release RPMs
(with IDE compiled-in, instead of a module, and SysReq/ksymoops
removed).  So it's a module (I assume no one will use XFS on their /
or /boot partitions at this point).

So, I can just rebuild mkinitrd-2.8-1XFS.src.rpm from PR 0.9?  Or
have there been patches that are newer?  FYI, I know RedHat 7.0.91
comes with mkinitrd-3.0.6 (but I assume that is not patched).
Again, will just the rebuild mkinitrd-2.8-1XFS from source do?

Thanx again ...

-- TheBS

--
Bryan "TheBS" Smith, Engineer                  CONTACT INFO
 Chat: thebs413 @ AOL/MSN/Yahoo (see http://Everybuddy.com)