Re: ide-cd not loaded on boot

To: Stephane KLEIN <stef@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: ide-cd not loaded on boot
From: Eric Sandeen <sandeen@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2001 00:26:45 -0600
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Stephane KLEIN wrote:

> I was not able to put an XFS partition on the root filesystem because
> the system is not able to mount it during the first reboot. This is
> probably due to the fact that the /etc/hosts file uses a label "/" for
> the root fs and XFS does not seems to have any label on its partitions.

(/etc/hosts?  I assume you mean /etc/fstab?)

I have not seen label problems like this before... the booting problems
I've seen so far have been either lilo-related, or some people have seen
the installer de-select formatting the root FS by default.  You might
try using the CD in rescue mode ("boot: linux rescue") and poke around
to see what the format the / filesystem really is - there's a chance
that it's ext2, but /etc/fstab says "xfs".

> The other problem is with devfs and some devices like the mouse and the
> cd. During the boot the ide-cd module is not loaded and the device nodes
> for the cd are not created. I can fix this by modifying the init scripts
> but I would like to know the real solution. For the mouse the problem is
> that XFree86 is trying to use /dev/mouse which does not exist.

This is on the caveats list.  The installer does not configure mouse
devices correctly, and/or devfsd is not configured to provide the
devices that Red Hat expects.  (You can look at it either way).

You can work around this by either modifying your /etc/fstab,
/etc/X11/XF86Config, etc. for the new devices devfs provides, or by
configuring /etc/devfsd.conf to provide the devices that Red Hat
expects.

One of the problems with automatic module loading is that
/etc/modules.devfs is missing from the devfsd RPM - this file helps
devfsd auto-load modules as necessary.  See this and other caveats at
http://oss.sgi.com/projects/xfs/installcavs.html

-Eric