Re: Can't get initial console

To: "Marcelo E. Magallon" <marcelo.magallon@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Can't get initial console
From: Rajagopal Ananthanarayanan <ananth@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 10:34:11 -0800
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
"Marcelo E. Magallon" wrote:

> >> Steve Lord <lord@xxxxxxx> writes:
>
>  > This may be your problem - I think IDE had some bad days, have you
>  > tried stuff beyond this date, or are you in the process of narrowing
>  > down when it broke?
>
>  Yes, just finished trying all the builds I have between the 10th and
>  today, and no, none of them will boot, and I haven't seen anything like
>  this on lkml, so I thought this was somehow specific to the XFS tree.

Are you running XFS root? I just installed the lastest CD
and ran into the same problem when I tried to run a kernel
I compiled. One change that fixes this problem (as Steve
pointed out, i think) is to turn on DEVFS. At this time, I
have no idea why this is required.

ananth.

Rajagopal Ananthanarayanan ("ananth")
Member Technical Staff, SGI.