Re: Root XFS partition

To: Jason Walker <unseen@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Root XFS partition
From: Russell Cattelan <cattelan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 01:03:07 -0600
Cc: Russ Ingram <ringram@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Jason Walker wrote:

> On Tue, 2 Jan 2001, Russ Ingram wrote:
>
> > This is not in direct reference to the Root XFS partition thread,
> > but...
> >
> > Has anyone got a system running with all XFS filesystems (i.e. /boot /
> > /usr ...) and if so is there a HOWTO on how it was done.  If there is
> > no HOWTO could someone possibly post an outline of the steps.  I would
> > then be happy to write up a HOWTO for someone to post to the
> > http://oss.sgi.com/projects/xfs site (or wherever would be most
> > apropriate).  I would like to have such a doc for myself and can only
> > imagine how much easier it will make it for others who would like to
> > create a similar system.
> >
> > Thanx,
> > Russ
> >
> > Russ Ingram
> > Gargoyle Computer Consulting
> > (307)760-1317
> > www.gargoylecc.com
> >

>         I have done such a thing.  It's really not harder than moving to any
> other FS.  I messd up by making XFS a module, so when it came time to mount
> /, it puked. it was a dumb mistake on my part, but I digress...

Actually running xfs as a module isn't very hard.
in the directory cmd/xfs/misc there is a modified mkinitrd the will always
generate
a ram disk with pagebuf xfs_support and xfs.

Once that is done just add the initrd line in lilo.conf
AND
append = "ramdisk_size=25000"

The default size is 4096 which isn't nearly large enough to hold xfs.

This is from my laptop.

punch[12:57am]-=>mount
/dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part8 on / type xfs (rw,noatime)
none on /proc type proc (rw)
/dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part6 on /boot type ext2 (rw,noatime)
none on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,mode=0620)
/dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part1 on /mnt/windows type vfat
(rw,nosuid,nodev,umask=0)
/dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part9 on /blam type xfs (rw)

punch[12:57am]-=>lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by
autofs                 13180   1 (autoclean)
usb-uhci               24918   0 (unused)
usbcore                35339   0 [usb-uhci]
3c59x                  25149   1 (autoclean)
maestro                29757   0 (unused)
soundcore               6085   2 [maestro]
vfat                   13075   1 (autoclean)
fat                    37733   0 (autoclean) [vfat]
xfs                   447888   2
xfs_support            13954   0 [xfs]
pagebuf                39935   2 [xfs]

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.0-XFS-test13-pre4
        label=t13p4
        root=/dev/hda8
        initrd=/boot/initrd-2.4.0-XFS-test13p4.img
        append="ramdisk_size=25000"
        read-only

Note we are very very close to having  modified RH 7.0 installer that will
be capable of doing an install straight to  XFS  partions.

If all goes well I may be able to put a preliminary iso image on the ftp
site tomorrow...  thursday at the latest.

--
Russell Cattelan
cattelan@xxxxxxxxxxx