Re: XFS file recovery???

To: Russell Cattelan <cattelan@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Damir Dezeljin <damir.dezeljin@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: XFS file recovery???
From: "Nathan Scott" <nathans@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2001 12:35:00 -0400
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
hi,

On Dec 21, 11:50am, Russell Cattelan wrote:
> Subject: Re: XFS file recovery???
> Damir Dezeljin wrote:
>
> > Firstly excuse my poor english.
> > I used MediaMail on Indigo2 (Irix6.2), bud my 2Gb (XFS) disk crached - I
> > can't reboot from it nother mount it, because it have a lot of bad-sectors,
> > so I made an disk image on linux box with "dd of=/dev/sdc of=SGI.dsk
> > conv=noerror", but I still can't mount it trought loop device and when I run
> > xfs_repair on it, it say that there are no usable superblocks, but when I
> > make a search on an image (ex. strings SGI.dsk |grep "dezo@xxxxxx") I get a
> > lot of output, so my files are stil here ... is there any way (progy) to
> > recover these files?

If xfs_repair gives up, I don't know of any program to recover
from this (other than from a xfsdump/other backup beforehand,
of course).

> Hmm xfs_repair should scan the file system and hopefully find at least one
> valid super block.
>
> run xfs_db on you file system image.

I think xfs_db will fail to start if it can't find the primary
superblock.  xfs_repair does a pretty thorough job of looking
though, so if it doesn't find any superblocks at all, I think
its going to be an uphill battle to make any progress on this.

cheers.

--
Nathan