Re: pagebuf page cleaner and page aging

To: Rajagopal Ananthanarayanan <ananth@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: pagebuf page cleaner and page aging
From: Marcelo Tosatti <marcelo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 17:24:25 -0200 (BRST)
Cc: Christoph Hellwig <hch@xxxxxxxxxx>, linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Fri, 19 Jan 2001, Rajagopal Ananthanarayanan wrote:

> There's been several mail exchanges already on this thread.
> Let me try to summarize:
<snip>
> 3. Its almost tempting to make kswapd do the delalloc conversions,
>    since it walks the inactive dirty list through page_launder().
>    However, if you think about it, the conversion is an operation
>    that logically sits between make a page delalloc & writing it out to
>    disk. IMO, we need a seperate daemon to perform the conversions.

Ananth,

Its obvious there must be a daemon to allocate old unmapped pages and to
help write throttling of the delayed allocations.

Now I dont see any problem with write clustering (potentially converting
pages if we found delayed pages). Remember that page_launder() is called
by each process since 2.4.1pre2, so there is no big problem if kswapd
blocks trying to convert pages.

What I'm missing here?