RE: XFS and root shell

To: 'Seth Mos' <knuffie@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: XFS and root shell
From: "Lord, Steve" <SLord@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 22:33:19 -0600
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
If my memory serves me correctly, xfs_repair etc were all in
in the root filesystem on Irix.

If XFS fails to run log recovery at mount time then it is in a
pretty sorry state. There is a mount option not to run recovery,
which will give you a readonly filesystem for the really desperate,
it is quite possible that it will shut itself down if corrupted
metadata is detected during access in this case (and the shutdown
code in linux was not working too well).

If the mount system call is not returning an error code for a
failed XFS mount that sounds like a bug.

Also, ask Martin Peterson at LinuxCare about an xfs aware
version of the LinuxCare rescue disk, that would be a useful
thing to have.

Steve