Re: XFS and root shell

To: Russell Cattelan <cattelan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: XFS and root shell
From: Seth Mos <knuffie@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 00:34:24 +0100 (CET)
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Tue, 19 Dec 2000, Russell Cattelan wrote:

> Seth Mos wrote:
>
> XFS either cleanly mounts or it doesn't, if it fails there is no
> ok go what the hell go ahead and mount in a dirty state.
> With ext2 you can tell it to go ahead and ignore the fact that
> the file system isn't clean and mount it up.

Sorry, that's not what I meant.
What I mean is that if a fs doesn't mount in general that it should go
single user. I DON'T want to _mount_ it dirty.
Just drop me to a shell.

If you make sure that the xfs* commands in /bin instead of /usr/bin.
If you can mount your root fs (al my machines have a 400 MB root fs) you
can repair your xfs partitions. e2fsck is in /bin for the same reason for
a long time. This fs survives most of the horror that can happen (except
disk failure) because it is fairly static (some mount it ro).

> The hope in doing that,  files like sh and fsck are probably
> not part of what is wrong with the file system and therefore
> able to bring up single user.

You mean you can't effetively detect a not succesful mount except using a
dmesg check?

> The best thing to do is grab Thomas Graichen XFS miniroot.
> http://innominate.org/~graichen/projects/miniroot/0.6/
> One caveat you the system needs to be up to install it.

No nothing is wrong for me. Just a question of wondering what can be
perfected.