Re: [Fwd: RE: Installing XFS Beta on RedHat 7.0]

To: swilson@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Fwd: RE: Installing XFS Beta on RedHat 7.0]
From: Russell Cattelan <cattelan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 11:32:23 -0600
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx, tduffy@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Steven M Wilson wrote:

> > > I'm stuck now with a failure to locate the file
> > > "linux-2.4.0-test11-xfs-alpha.patch" under SOURCES.
> > > This file is needed for (at least) SCRIPTS/make-tarballs
> > > and the command "make i386kernel" at the
> > > root of the source tree.
> >
> > the patch is generated on the fly by the scripts.  it checks
> > out a copy of
> > a clean linux 2.4.0-test11 tree and diffs the xfs tree to generate the
> > patch.
> >
> > this is done because rpm wants a clean tarball plus
> > patches...we will be
> > moving to a patch based system for distributing xfs at some
> > point in the
> > future.
> >
> > I am hesitant to check in the patch since it should be
> > generated at any
> > given moment by looking at the current xfs tree and a stock
> > linux tarball.
> > you will also need to grab a linux tarball and put that into
> > SOURCES as
> > well as this is not checked into the tree (we did not want to
> > have that
> > huge binary in the tree).
> >
> > hope this helps,
> >
> > -tduffy
> >

> The script "create_clean_kernel_tree" fails trying to locate and execute a
> program called p_tupdate.  Where can I get this program?

hmm that's an SGI internal source code control program.

I'm not sure going through hassle of trying to build and rpm is really
going to gain you much.

I would recommend just copying the correct config file from the SOURCES
directory
(eg kernel-2.4.0-i686.config ) to linux/.config
cd linux
make oldconfig depend bzImage modules install modules_install
this will build and install everything.

Edit lilo.conf add another entry for
vmlinuz-2.4.0-XFS-test11
run  lilo
and reboot.
(selecting the new kernel at the LILO prompt)

Just for grins I will fire off an RPM build on a 7.0 box see if I can generate

7.0 images.