Re: [Fwd: RE: Installing XFS Beta on RedHat 7.0]

To: <swilson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Fwd: RE: Installing XFS Beta on RedHat 7.0]
From: Tom Duffy <tduffy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 15:03:40 -0800 (PST)
Cc: <linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
> Thanks for your response, Russell.  I am now trying to build from the
> sources but have run into a few snags.  I've overcome most of the problems
> but I'm stuck now with a failure to locate the file
> "linux-2.4.0-test11-xfs-alpha.patch" under SOURCES.  This file is needed for
> (at least) SCRIPTS/make-tarballs and the command "make i386kernel" at the
> root of the source tree.

the patch is generated on the fly by the scripts.  it checks out a copy of
a clean linux 2.4.0-test11 tree and diffs the xfs tree to generate the
patch.

this is done because rpm wants a clean tarball plus patches...we will be
moving to a patch based system for distributing xfs at some point in the
future.

I am hesitant to check in the patch since it should be generated at any
given moment by looking at the current xfs tree and a stock linux tarball.
you will also need to grab a linux tarball and put that into SOURCES as
well as this is not checked into the tree (we did not want to have that
huge binary in the tree).

hope this helps,

-tduffy